Friday, December 21, 2007

Jura Capresso, good job!

I love coffee. I love it so much I could have got a used Korean car for what I paid for my machine. I did the math though and almost 2500 cups later, I'm way ahead of what I would have spent at Starbucks.

Anyway, I have a Jura Capresso unit and I have been completely satisfied with its performance. All I have to do is make sure it has beans and water and it cranks out a perfect brew every time.

One of the nice features of the machine is that it alerts you from time to time when it's time to clean the machine, change the water filter, empty grounds, etc. Today it decided it was time for a thorough scrubbing.

As with all the other machine features, cleaning is fairly well automated. The LED display prompts you through the steps and basically all you have to do is drop in the cleaning tablet when it tells you to.

After following the cleaning steps, the LED display informed me that it was still time to clean the machine. Thinking is was just a firmware glitch, I ran the cycle again, this time with no cleaning tablet. Same result.

So, on the phone to the company's 1-800 number. The first nice surprise was that after the automatic attendant determined if I was a user or a retailer I was immediately talking to a live human. Sweet!

Well, my problem was a familiar one to the technician and she walked me through the steps necessary to solve my problem in about 3 minutes. It seems that there is a "tamping disc" that gets clogged sometimes and is not washed by the cleaning cycle. You can wipe it off by reaching into the bowels of the machine with the grounds/drip tray removed. Simple and quick!

After running another cleaning cycle, sans tablet, I was back in caffeine heaven.

Excellent machine and excellent service, Jura Capresso!

No comments: