Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I loves my little Blackberry Curve, yes I do!

I've had my Blackberry Curve for three weeks now. During that time I've really put it through its paces. It's my third Blackberry and by now, I've got some pretty high standards. I haven't been disappointed.

Bluetooth just keeps getting better and better on the Blackberry. Not only does it support the simple "earbud" and automobile "handsfree" profiles, in addition it will integrate an external Bluetooth GPS "puck" and Bluetooth stereo headphones. If that doesn't blow your dress up, you can also tether your Bluetooth capable laptop to it for wireless access to the Internet.

It seems to be as rugged as the older, clunkier models, too. Made out of some kind of super plastic that looks like metal, it has shrugged off the couple of falls to the floor I've managed to give it so far. I did opt for the cool neoprene "skin" up front and that makes it a lot less scratch prone as well as keeping it in place wherever you put it down. The skin only adds a couple of millimeters to its dimensions. For ten bucks, I recommend you get it.

The wi-fi works as advertised and when you are near a hotspot, significantly speeds up browsing the 'net. My provider also has a feature where if you are in range of a wi-fi connection, it switches automatically to the cell phone analog of VOIP and you don't burn any airtime minutes. That's an extra cost feature, and it's temporarily enabled on my phone to get me to want it, I'm sure, but I don't use up my plan minutes as it is now, so I won't be signing up for that. Cool, nonetheless. The new browser does a great job of rendering most sites. A real improvement over the original offer. It allows you to switch between an "internet browser" and a "wi-fi browser" also. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, but the wi-fi browser is much faster if you are connected wi-fi.

RIM, the manufacturers of the Curve have really improved the cell phone aspect of their handsets as well. The, now obsolete, model 7250, had to be placed carefully over your ear to get any sound out of it at all, whereas the new models are quite forgiving. I find I use the speakerphone feature far more than I thought I would, too.

With a 4 gig data card, I can carry just about as much of my music around as I want to and if I want, 4 cards will hold my entire iTunes collection. So, the iPod stays at home now.

In a word? Sweet!

No comments: